Welcome to our MLS blog, where we dive deep into the captivating realm of Major League Soccer! Whether you're a die-hard fan or a newcomer curious about the sport, this blog is your go-to destination for the reboot of MLS on the 22nd of February.
MLS Cup-potential winners
1. Inter Miami: The MLS kicks back under way on the 22nd of February as everybody’s attention will be focused on Lionel Messi as he captains Inter Miami against Salt Lake. Messi shocked the world last summer as he joined David Beckhams Inter Miami.
Now he is joined by former Barcelona teammates, Busquets, Alba and now fellow MSN member Luis Suarez. The Uruguayan forward might be at the back end of his career but joining his friend again in Miami will give flashbacks of that famous front line that was memorable to watch in Barcelona. They really are getting the band back together to fight for MLS Cup success!
Inter Miami had a disappointing league campaign last year. However, they still managed to gain their first ever cup success. This was a real sign of what the future holds for the men in pink, Lionel Messi who captained Argentina to World Cup Glory in December 2022 will hope to guide Miami to domestic success and show why he is one of the best in the world!
Inter Miami are still based in the DRV PNK Stadium however, Miami Freedom Park is underway; expressing the intent to grow the club not just in America but Globally.
With huge global stars at the club, a new stadium in the works; in one of the most attractive cities in the world. All the while David Beckham is running the club, this all looks like a recipe for success and Inter Miami will hope success will soon follow on the pitch.
2. Columbus crew are tipped to have a lot of success this season once again under manager Wilfried Nancy. Columbus shocked everybody as they went on to win the MLS Cup beating LAFC 2-1. Columbus has been rather quiet in the transfer window but signing the likes of Diego Rossi means they want to go again and compete with anybody in the league. It's a long season but nothing is stopping them from making the playoffs, so they have a right to defend their MLS Cup Trophy.
3. FC Cincinnati topped the eastern conference last year but came short in the MLS Cup. Topping the table is still classed as a huge success for Cincinnati and they can't be underestimated in the league. Everybody is talking about Messi however; we can’t sleep on another little Argentinian who goes by the name Acosta. He may not have 8 Ballon D'or awards, but he was a standout performer for Cincinnati last year and will hope to bring more success for the upcoming season
4. LAFC are one of the biggest franchise clubs in the MLS, they have some brilliant players at their disposal and will hope to reach the MLS Cup final for the third year in a row. LAFC won the cup in 2022 with Welsh star Gareth Bale, they also reached the final last year however, they just missed out on the cup losing to Columbus. LAFC have stars such as Carlos Vela, Italian veteran Chiellini and French World Cup winner Lloris in between the sticks. They will hope the experience of these players can bring more success for the club.
5. New York Red Bulls haven't had huge success in recent years however, they are still one of the favourites for the MLS Cup. Club captain stated last year “We're very disappointed ourselves, but we know going into next year we've got to start off strong. We’ve got to have momentum early on in the year so we can make a big playoff push.” They have never won the Cup before however; they made a huge statement by signing Forsberg from RB Leipzig where he made 324 appearances scoring 71 goals and creating 68 assists. Red Bull franchises are well known for their high press and attacking football and they will hope they can resurrect in what was a poor season for them last year.
6: Philadelphia Union finished fourth in the eastern conference then eventually knocked out in the playoffs by table toppers FC Cincinnati. This season they would like to go one step further and claim the Cup. With the likes of Carranza and Gazdag who both netted 14 goals each last year this is certainly possible.
These are just 6 favourites for the MLS Cup, there are plenty of teams who will be in a real fighting chance of competing in the play offs. The opening weekend will set us up nicely for a brilliant season in the MLS. Check out down below the opening weekend fixtures!
When and how to watch the MLS
All games shown live an Apple TV.